JSP Visual Week In Review | 05.24.14
We made it! We made it!
Yes, it’s Memorial Day Weekend here in the U.S., the unofficial start to summer.
It is for me. I’m a “Memorial Day To Labor Day” is summer, calendar be damned. And right now I have two racks of baby back ribs, dry rubbed with my secret spices, waiting to be cooled low and slow later today for our BBQ with friends.
After the winter we had, I’m happy to see summer here. In the last couple of weeks, the trees have burst with green, the corn in the nearby farms are just think reeds now, but will soon be bulky stalwarts. The kids have about a month left of school. And my summer Friday hours have started at work.
I’ll pack as much into these days as I can.
I missed my Visual Week In Review last week because I was up in Northeast PA celebrating with these kids. It’s always nice to go back to my old hometown, see things with older eyes. And young ones too (as per through my kids eyes.)
But I’m back in the swing now. Didn’t do too much shooting this week, for some reason. Started to kick it back in to gear yesterday while out with my kids, though.
Still, much inspiration this week, from articles to movies to music. Check out the links below. I’m off to make BBQ sauce.
And Happy Summer!
This Week’s Links:
* Watch: Check out this 5 minute video, Paperman, from Pixar. Tells a love story better in this time frame than some big-budget Hollywood movies. Plus, it’s visually engaging, especially the noirish lighting.
* I’m not sure how I feel about this: Trigger Warnings.
* Remember that young gal being followed by Picasso holding an umbrella in that Capa photo? She’s 92 now and still creating art. (Once married to Dr. Jonah Salk, too.)
* So you want to be an app developer? Good luck.
* Good short read: The Pros and Cons of Continuous Lighting.
* Good interview by Jim Colton with photojournalist Deanne Fitzmaurice. I met her back in 2003 when she was shooting for the SF Chronicle.
* The Tom Wolfe archive (slideshow is fantastic.)
* Finally, in case you need inspiration for your glass this summer: From the NY Times, Summer Drink Generator.
* “I do not photograph nature. I photography my visions.” ~ Man Ray