JSP Visual Week In Review | 07.14.14
Picking the camera up and putting it down.
It was another busy week for me here in the Great State of New Jersey. Last weekend, there was no VWIR as I was up in the hills of Pennsylvania. Me and the kids went to visit my parents in Luzerne County, while my wife headed to another part of PA to do her Spartan Race. (We had a great time with Grandma and Pop and she kicked butt in her race.)
Then, it was another hot, humid, typical Jersey week, punctuated by some big-time thunder and lightning storms. We’re dead it the middle of summer now, and I’m happy.
Picking the camera up, it was fun being back home, and taking shot of my parents and kids, and the places we visited. I also put in another quick order to BorrowLenses for a 70-200mm zoom as I had about 12 corporate head shots to shoot on Thursday. I love that lens for portraiture. I love a 50 mm too, but with this zoom, I can be back a bit from the subject so that they are intimidated. Wide open, the lens blurs the background nicely, and keeps my subject sharp. While I had my flash with me, I used natural light with a reflector. Can’t get much more simple than that.
Putting the camera down, yesterday I wasn’t allowed to use it. You see, my little girl, Olivia, had a very successful First Grade year. Not just in terms of grades, which were good, but in terms of how to act and behavior. Her teacher had this system where, using clothespin, kids would “clip up” a ladder if they were good (listened, didn’t fight, followed directions, etc) or *gulp* clip down if they were going in the opposite direction. If someone was having a really good day, they would come home with an Outstanding sticker.
Proudly, I’ll say Liv got 13 Outstandings this year, by far the tops in the class. As a reward for a year well done, she wanted to go to Six Flag Great Adventure, just me and her. Six Flags is seven miles from our house, and we have a season pass there. It’s paid for itself already, but I hadn’t been there. Liv wanted to spend the day with me, something we don’t get the chance to do much anymore.
So, I knocked off work in the early afternoon, and we went to the park. But, she said, I wasn’t allowed to take pictures. Guess I do that too much. I can’t say it was easy – it’s a target rich environment. But I held out and we had a great time. She’s a sweet little girl, that one.
As much as I like to shoot, sometimes it’s just good to go out. And not shoot.
This Week’s Links:
* Joe McNally talks about a couple of Jersey Guys.
* Nobody is crying about this spilt milk.
* Interesting listen: As now-former Chicago Tribune photojournalist Scott Strazzante heads to San Francisco, he did a good radio interview about his iPhone photographs.
* Watch: James Victore (one of my great finds in 2014) talks about finding happiness and your 401K.
* Incredible Sochi Olympics shot from Ben Lowry.
* Healthy cocktails. Why not, it’s summer.
* Tyler Hicks on photographing Gaza. This guy is always in the middle of it.
* Action shoot tips from Corey Rich.
* “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have asked for a faster horse.” ~ Henry Ford
© Mark V. Krajnak | JerseyStyle Photography | All Rights Reserved 2014